It is found that eating plants, i.e. veggies and fruits, are more beneficial than consuming meat and dairy. Although most people are becoming aware of this phenomenon, there is a continuous habit of people eating beef and milk. It is said that meat and dairy have benefits-such as protein and calcium-which is true. But on the flip-side, it also causes chronic illnesses; such as heart disease, obesity and strokes. Veggies and fruits provides all the nutrition you need-plus some! Here are the 5 top reasons why you should adopt a plant-based diet.
- You’ll have more energy: Vegetables and fruits contains vitamins, fiber, antioxidants and minerals that that will keep our bodies running all day long without exhaustion. These nutrients are needed by our cells to convert glucose into energy. Most meat and cheese contains an amino acid called, tryptophan which you makes you feel sleepy. This drowsiness is better known as the “itis.”
- You’ll feel happier: When you feel alert, awake and refreshed-you will feel great!
- You’ll be helping the environment: There’s a lot of time, energy and money that goes into the meat and dairy industry. There’s the killings of millions of helpless animals, millions of gallons of water being used to grow food for animals and the destruction of rain forests in order to build slaughterhouses.
- You’ll be healthier: I was the healthiest when I only consumed fruits, legumes and veggies. Hands down! I don’t remember ever catching a cold or anything with my plant-based lifestyle. I also toned up in some areas of my body. Which is always a plus!
- You’ll become more aware: Before I was vegan, I was not aware of all the dairy in almost everything we eat. From cereals, to chips to popcorn. It’s literally everywhere! The vegan lifestyle will help you to take better care of yourself and pay attention to the ingredients that are listed on your food. The best way to avoid eating foods with any hidden ingredients are to eat whole foods.
I am now in the process of becoming vegan again. I have tried several times since moving back home, but it has been difficult-given that I’m now living with family and I’m try to accommodate others. However, I have realized that I am important and the decisions that I make today will impact my tomorrow. I will choose to live a life of full of energy and nutrients. I will choose to care for my planet. I will choose life. We are all human and slip-up sometimes, but it’s important to live by your values and do what is good for you and the planet you live on.